SGA Cabinet Applications 2018-2019
Are you interested in applying to be a member of the SGA Cabinet? Many of Grinnell’s student organizations and services utilize SGA’s help and support. Cabinet members are necessary for all SGA operations, which includes programming, events, concerts, Campus Council, representing the Grinnell College student body, and more!
Below you will find a brief overview of general cabinet expectations and links to applications for each position.
General Cabinet Expectations
These points currently apply to all cabinet positions, but are subject to change
- Working an average of 20 hours a week for $9.50/hour
- Attending lunch meetings on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (12-1pm)
- Attending Campus Council on Wednesdays (7:30-…pm)
- Returning to campus early for goal setting, planning, meetings with administrators and staff, and programming for new students (tentatively August 16th)
See the applications below for overviews of specific Cabinet positions. Please check out the SGA Constitution and reach out to the current SGA Cabinet to learn more about these roles and SGA as a whole.
- Administrative Coordinator Application (Currently Max Hill [sga1])
- Assistant Treasurer Application (Currently Waez Sheikh [sga2])
- Diversity and Outreach Coordinator Application (Currently Hannah Boggess [doc])
- All-Campus Events Chair Application (Currently Dylan Welch and Selah Mystic [ace])
- Services Coordinator Application (Currently Emily Porter [services])
If you are only available for one semester, this will not affect your standing in the selection process.
Eligibility: Any full-time student of Grinnell College shall be eligible for any SGA Cabinet office, provided that co is at least a first semester sophomore at the time of assuming office, is planning to be in attendance on the Grinnell College campus for the duration of the term of office, and will not concurrently be a Campus Council Senator or a member of Grinnell College Student Staff (community advisor). While experience in SGA can be helpful, it’s absolutely not required.
Applications are due on Wednesday, March 7th, by 11:59 PM. We are aiming to conduct interviews for selected students on Friday, March 9th – Monday, March 12th.
If you are an individual with a disability and need accommodations, please contact President-Elect Myles Becker [beckermy] or Diversity and Outreach Coordinator Hannah Boggess [doc].
All the best,
Myles Becker, President-Elect
Kadiata Toumbou, Vice President-Elect of Student Affairs
Riley Murphy, Vice President-Elect of Academic Affairs
Waez Sheikh, Assistant Treasurer
First Campus Council of 2018
- 9AM-2PM FREE STI testing & ice cream with SHACS & SGA, JRC 2 lobby
- 8-10PM The Chemistry of Safer Sex with SHIC & Chem SEPC, JRC lobby
- 5-7PM Birth Control Options & Info with SHIC, JRC lobby
- 7-8:30PM Safer & More Pleasurable Sex with the SRC, Bob’s
- 9-10:30PM Pub Quiz with SGA, Bob’s
- 6-8PM Cross-Cultural Consent with SHIC, ISO, & Monsoon, Loose Lounge
- 8-9PM How to NOT Have Sex with Isabel Cooke ’16, JRC 225
- 9-11PM Alcohol & Consent with SHIC & PEP, Main Lounge
- 11PM-1AM Foreplay Gardner with SHIC, Gardner Lounge
Spring 2018 Executive Elections
The time has come to elect next years’ Student Government Association President and Vice Presidents.
The current SGA executives will be hosting collective office hours on Thursday, February 8th (and every Thursday for the rest of the semester) from 7:30-8:30PM in the Grill. Please feel free to reach out them (Summer White @sgaprez, Kahlil Epps @vpsa, Misha Gelnarova @vpaa1) if you have any questions about the positions.
To run for SGA President, sign up with this form -> apply for SGA Prez
To run for SGA Vice President of Student Affairs, sign up with this form -> apply for SGA VPSA
To run for SGA Vice President of Academic Affairs, sign up with this form -> apply for SGA VPAA
Applications for SGA President and Vice Presidencies are due Saturday, February 10th at 11:59 pm. The campaign period will start Sunday, February 15th at 3:00PM and end on Thursday February 22nd 3:00 PM.
There will be a panel with all the candidates in JRC 101 on Thursday, February 22nd at 8:00pm and elections will begin at 8:00AM Monday, February 23rd and end 8:00AM Saturday February 24th.
If you have questions specific to the election process, you may email the Election Board Chair, Tim Brennhofer at [election]. Additionally, feel free to visit the SGA Administrative Coordinator Max Hill during his office hours from 3PM – 4PM in JRC 222D on Mondays, 10-11AM on Tuesdays, and 10-12AM on Thursdays. You can also email him directly at [sga1] with any questions about SGA executive roles, the application process, and the election process.
If you need any accommodations or have accessibility concerns with the application process, please email Diversity and Outreach Coordinator Hannah Boggess at [DOC] or [ELECTION].
Tim Brennhofer ’19
Election Board Chair
Spring 2018 Student Initiatives Results
Below are the results from the Student Initiative voting period held last week. The necessary approval percentage for an initiative is 66.67%, or two thirds of the voting students, while ignoring votes of “No Preference”. With this in mind, you can see below that all the initiatives proposed this semester have been approved. Next week, the Student Initiatives Fund Committee [stifund] will reach out and meet with the individuals who proposed the initiatives, working with them to implement the changes our student body has approved.
|Approve||Disapprove||No Preference||Approval Percentage
|Divest from Fossil Fuels||540||144||169||78.95%|
|Fix the Shrieking Chairs Above the Grill||554||50||249||91.72%|
|Hand Dryers in Residence Halls||582||168||103||77.60%|
|Happy Lamps in Residence Hall Lounges||535||102||216||83.99%|
|Laundry Alerts and Availability||626||97||130||86.58%|
|Protein Powder in the Dining Hall||422||176||255||70.57%|
|Mint Tea in the Dining Hall||556||71||226||88.68%|
|Non-Caffeinated Herbal Teas in the Libraries||580||59||214||90.77%|
|Occupied/Free Plaques for the 15 Bucksbaum Practice Rooms||653||27||173||96.03%|
|Optional Gender Pronouns on DB||643||43||167||93.73%|
|Student Murals on the Walls of Campus Building Basements||601||77||175||88.64%|
|Toasters and Kettles in Residence Hall Kitchens||606||110||137||84.64%|
|Update Dorm Televisions||513||143||197||78.20%|
|Water Filters in Residence Halls||726||41||86||94.65%|
Again, thank you all for your participation, and keep your eyes open for information regarding the upcoming SGA Executives Election.
Tim Brennhofer ’19
Election Board Chair
Spring 2018 Student Initiatives
Stifund voting is still open! Initiatives include:
- Divest from Fossil Fuels
- Fix the Shrieking Chairs Above the Grill
- Hand Dryers in Residence Halls
- Happy Lamps in Residence Hall Lounges
- Laundry Alerts and Availability
- Protein Powder in the Dining Hall
- Mint Tea in the Dining Hall
- Non-Caffeinated Herbal Teas in the Libraries
- Occupied/Free Plaques for the 15 Bucksbaum Practice Rooms
- Optional Gender Pronouns on DB
- Student Murals on the Walls of Campus Building Basements
- Toasters and Kettles in Residence Hall Kitchens
- Update Dorm Televisions
- Water Filters in Residence Halls
You can find the link here and support the the initiatives you want to see pass.
Spring 2018 Senator Elections
Spring 2018 elections have concluded! Here are the senators and their respective constituencies:
– Jonah Zimmerman ’18
– Myles Becker ’19
– Quinn Ercolani ’20
– Allie Pearce ’20
– Jonathan Rebelsky ’20
– Evan Feldberg-Bannatyne ’20
– Ishaan Tiberwal ’21
– Cinthia Romo ’21
– Erica Satchell ’21
– Angela Frimpong ’20
– Regina Logan ’20
– Arish Albert Vale ’21
– Elizabeth Collinger ’21
– Mithila Iyer ’19
– Mary Davega ’21
– Lucy Nelson ’20
– Amanda Weber ’21
– Mahira Faran ’20
A more in-depth breakdown of the election results can be found here.